Recognition as a Candidate for Accreditation by CIE is the first step toward membership in and accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges; however, achieving Candidacy does not guarantee eventual accreditation. The category of Candidate for Accreditation is not to be confused with membership in and accreditation by the Association.
Please click on each step of the process below to see more details about how to become NEASC/CIE Accredited.
For a school to be recognized as a Candidate for Accreditation by CIE, it must meet the following criteria:
- Use English as a primary language of instruction and communication throughout the school.
- Demonstrate the international nature of the school through a mission which includes creating international citizens, through demographics of the student body and staff, and through the co-curricular experiences and programs offered.
- Provide a curriculum which in content, design, implementation, and assessment reflects best practices in American and international education.
- Prepare students to be able to transfer to similar schools worldwide or, upon graduation, to enter colleges and universities where English is the primary medium of instruction.
- Have several years of operating history.
- Operate outside the United States.
Schools applying for membership in NEASC through CIE must:
- Commit to meeting established standards.
- Commit to a process of self-evaluation, peer review, and on-going systematic improvement, utilizing CIE’s standards.
- Be willing to host a preliminary visit to assess the school’s readiness for the self-study process leading to accreditation.
- Be able to host a visiting team appointed by CIE so as to ensure peer review.
- Have basic guiding documents (faculty handbook, student handbook, written curriculum, employment contracts, staff evaluation procedures, governing board policies, and job descriptions).
- Upon application, and later upon request, submit an independent audit, current budget, and most recent management letter in English.
- Commit to acting within the spirits of the ideals and principles enunciated in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Be willing to release faculty members and other personnel to serve on visiting teams for accreditation visits to other similar schools.
To apply for accreditation, please download and fill out the application form.
Return it to NEASC by:
- email: email@example.com
- mail: 3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100, Burlington, MA 01803-4514, USA